Moving beyond LTE and Korea
Best Mobile Carrier
|Last year's winner:||SK Telecom|
|Business segments:||B2C (mobile voice/data, content platform services, converged internet services), B2B (enterprise, telematics, payments)|
|Chairman & CEO:||Ha Sung-min|
|Key stats:||Revenue of 16.3 trillion won ($15 billion), up 2.3% (FY12); net income of 1.1 trillion won ($1 billion), down 29.5%; 26.9 million total subscribers|
SK Telecom continues to build on its market position and was the first South Korean operator to launch LTE service that now covers 99% of the nation's population.
The company has been a pioneer in the commercialization of many LTE network technologies, including multi-carrier, LTE femtocell and nationwide VoLTE.
Building on these initiatives, it now is focusing on LTE-Advanced technologies and has conducted field tests and plans to launch LTE-Advanced service in September.
Another initiative is to create new growth engines by combining ICT with other industries such as healthcare and media, and is actively promoting them through close collaboration with various partners.
"SK Telecom is continually upgrading its network quality through technologies such as LTE femtocells and multi-carrier to accommodate increasing data traffic," said Youn Jong-pil, head of SK Telecom's Convergence Tech Lab.
SK Telecom is also offering various multimedia services such as live baseball broadcasts and mobile IPTV service to maximize the data experience of customers. The company has developed price plans and customer-oriented programs such as "LTE Sharable Data" plans and "LTE Data Gift Program".
In addition, the carrier is focusing on developing Internet of Things (IoT) business models to enhance the user experience in data services. "To this end, the company is actively creating a total IoT platform while developing sophisticated technologies including in-door positioning technology," said Youn.
"SK Telecom impressed the judges not only with its successful LTE rollout, but also its innovation on the VAS front. Its creation of an innovative digital unit has helped it develop new growth drivers and realize synergies in big data, digital content and commerce, both inside and outside its home base of South Korea."
Telecom Asia Awards 2013 Winners:
- Best Asian Telecom Carrier - NTT Communications
- Telecom CEO of the Year - David Thodey, Telstra
- Best Mobile Carrier - SK Telecom
- Best Broadband Carrier - Telekom Malaysia
- Best Emerging Markets Carrier - XL Axiata
- Best Managed Services Provider - BT Global Services
- Best International Wholesale Carrier – Pacnet
- Best Data Center Services Provider - Equinix
- Best Community Telecom Project - Smart Communications' NOAH Mobile
- Most Innovative Telecom Project - Globe Telecom's My Super Plan
- Best Cloud-Based Service - NTT Communications
- Most Innovative Partnership Strategy - 3 Hong Kong and WhatsApp
- Most Advanced Approach to CEM - CSL
Is there an app for that??
Phil Marshall / Tolaga Research
Operational automation, agile development environments and platform strategies are vital to success