Crowdsourcing the workforce

Crowdsourcing the workforce

John C. Tanner  |   November 12, 2010
telecomasia.net
The “cloud” can do many things, depending on who you ask. If you ask Salesforce.com, it can help companies crowdsource their own staff for ideas on how to move the company forward.
 
Salesforce.com revealed Thursday that Australian incumbent Telstra has been using its Salesforce Ideas service for the past year to run a web forum called “T[ideas]” that essentially allows all of Telstra’s 30,000+ employees – as well as its partners, contractors and retail staff – to submit and discuss ideas that can be voted on and eventually passed on to the upper management.
 
According to Lindsey Armstrong, Salesforce.com’s VP for Asia Pacific & Japan, Telstra has identified close to 300 new company initiatives via T[ideas], and has implemented a number of them, including a 24/7 call center and scheduling technician appointments on weekends.
 
The selling point for Telstra, she says, is the ability to tap into the “long tail” of ideas in the telco’s vast workforce.
 
“In a workforce that large, most actionable ideas come from around 20% of the company’s staff, but the other 80% of the workforce have their own expertise and may have ideas on how to improve things that will never reach the ear of the CEO,” Armstrong says.
 
As such, crowdsourcing those idea via a social networking forum is a fast, efficient way to tap into that community knowledge even at scales in the tens of thousands, she says. Which is where the cloud angle comes in, she adds.
 
12

POLL

Is over-the-top video from Google, Apple and Amazon a threat to telcos offering IPTV?

Video from Telecom Channel

Carriers 'key to the cloud'
Partnering with carriers is key its NEC's cloud strategy. Manuel Gallo says service providers are best positioned to provide basic services needed to create clouds.  
 

Voices_tabs

Robert Clark
Problem is, consumers like them
Robert Clark
Problem is, consumers like them
Rik Turner and David Molony/Ovum
Optical networking not just for operators anymore
Angel Dobardziev/Ovum
The beginning of an M&A end-game?
Tonia Graham/TM Forum
Standardized measurements for operators, vendors and consultants
Robert Clark
Operators can be powerful advocates for light-touch regulation and surveillance

businessweek_industryview

Olga Kharif
Criminals follow the money
Ivan Pepelnjak
Can MPLS-TP meet carrier needs?

Frontpage Content by Category

Telecomasia.net's most popular news stories, blogs, analysis and features in the first six months of 2010

lighter_side_telecom_career

Staff writer
Half of phones sold on eBay still contain personal data
Staff writer
Bob Toohey is former SVP of global customer care at Verizon Business