India's DoT has begun allocating 3G spectrum to the seven winners of May's 3G auctions. It requires operators to cover at least 90% of metro circles, and 50% of most of the other circles. within five years.
Indonesian carrier PT Telkom has contracted Alcatel-Lucent to update its backbone with a converged IP and optical solution, after a surge in fixed and mobile broadband subscribers.
BT will introduce SIP trunking for a number of European countries and the US to its BT Onevoice converged communications platform.
Russia's VimpelCom has reported a 52% fall in Q2 profit to $334.7 million, on declining revenues and soaring expenses.
Alcatel-Lucent has carried the first test LTE data call using spectrum on Band 14, the frequency range reserved for US public safety agencies.
The Thailand Development Research Institute has urged the government to allow 100% foreign investment in Thai telcos, stating that it is the best way to lift participation in the next round of the nation's 3G auctions.
- FASTTAKES: Dell, Apple, Bharti, Taiwan Mobile, Alca-Lu, ACMA, NSN
- Webwire: HP dumps PC spinoff plan; Baidu Q3 profit grows 80%
- THE WRAP: NFC advanced by Google, Orange; Apotheker fired
- Webwire: RIM plans music streaming service; SPTC board sacked
- THE WRAP: Nokia slips behind Apple; Operators feel pinch in 2Q