Huawei NBN ban to stay: Aussie PM

Huawei NBN ban to stay: Aussie PM

Dylan Bushell-Embling  |   November 01, 2013
telecomasia.net
Huawei's hopes for a reprieve from its ban from tendering for Australian NBN tenders may have been quashed almost as soon as they were raised.
 
New prime minister Tony Abbott has reportedly written a letter to his opposition counterpart stating that Huawei will not be involved in the NBN rollout.
 
Days earlier, communications minister Malcolm Turnbull raised the prospect of reviewing the ban imposed by the former Labor government, calling Huawei a “very credible business.”
 
But not long after his comments, other members of Abbott's cabinet painted a different picture. Attorney General George Brandis told The Australian Financial Review  that the government had considered the matter, and will not be dropping the ban at this stage.
 
Treasurer Joe Hockey has also publicly commented that he sees no way that Huawei would be allowed to invest in the NBN.
 
The Chinese government has meanwhile criticized the decision to uphold the ban, while Huawei has announced that it understands that no decision has yet been made, suggesting it still believes the door is open to overturning it.
 
The Labor government imposed the ban last year, citing national security recommendations from Australia's intelligence agencies.
Dylan Bushell-Embling
But you can never have enough capacity, says Telekom Malaysia’s Rozaimy Rahman
Content is becoming more localized but there’s still demand for multi-regional delivery, says Ricky Chau of Level 3

SignUpTAenews

Frontpage Content by Category with Image

One company has developed a pill that tells your doctor when you've taken your medication

 

Telecomasia.net full website

© 2012 Questex Asia Ltd., a Questex Media Group company. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited. Please send any technical comments or questions to our webmaster.