Huawei wins bulk of Singapore NBN contracts

Natalie Apostolou
23 Sep 2009

Huawei has taken the lion’s share of the first infrastructure contracts for Singapore’s S$1 billion ($708.1 million) NBN project. Alcatel-Lucent has also been awarded the OSS/BSS system integrator contract.

Both vendors signed an agreement on Tuesday Starhub subsidiary Nucleus Connect, the designated NBN wholesale provider.

Nucleus would not reveal details of the financial value of the contracts, but said Huawei had won 70% of the value and Alcatel-Lucent the remaining 30%.

Huawei will roll out an end-to-end network with an IP MPLS core and a GPON and an active ethernet access network. It will also deliver professional services, CPE and network management.

Alcatel-Lucent will supply the OSS/BSS and act as systems integrator. The contract will include service assurance, customer care and billing and is targeted for completion by July next year.

Nucleus holds the Singapore government’s “OpCo” contract, which StarHub won in April. The government will tip S$250 million into the company, which will buy dark fiber from the SingTel-backed OpenNet and wholesale it to ISPs.

Nucleus Connect CEO David Storrie said the partnership with Huawei and Alcatel-Lucent would allow the company “to deploy the network in a timely and efficient manner to meet the stringent project milestones set out by the IDA ”

Nucleus Connect is required to roll out a network to 60% of the population by December 2010 and 95% by June 2012.

It is expected to start offering commercial broadband wholesale services by the first quarter of 2010, with an initial speed of 100 Mbps and later scaling up to 1Gbps.

Related content

No Comments Yet! Be the first to share what you think!