Infineon Technologies and Atheros Communications announced a dual-mode GSM/Wi-Fi solution aimed at making IP telephony available for low-cost handsets.
The XMM 1013 platform delivers voice over IP capabilities as well as GSM services for mobile handsets, according to Infineon.
The solution helps to significantly reduce manufacturing cost for Wi-Fi-enabled cell phones by up to 50 percent, said Infineon.
The market for dual-mode GSM/Wi-Fi handsets is expected to grow from 186 million units in 2008 to 250 million units in 2010, according to market research firm Forward Concepts.
Wi-Fi access today is available on high-end smartphones.
While many people want to make inexpensive VoIP phone calls at home or while travelling, Infineon believes there is growing demand for easy-to-use handsets with accessibility to GSM mobile networks as well as Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Motive Big Network Analytics - Infographic
- MBB viewpoint: The market situation, key challenges and strategies
- FiberHome products are serving more than 20 million subscribers in Asia Pacific with its FTTH integrated solution.
- At a glance: Global SaaS market and Huawei's CSB Cloud Marketplace
- Taming the Big Data beast