Maxis allocates $164m for LTE rollout

Maxis allocates $164m for LTE rollout

Dylan Bushell-Embling  |   December 12, 2012
telecomasia.net
Malaysia's Maxis has revealed it is on the verge of launching LTE services, and plans to invest 500 million ringgit ($163.7 million) rolling out its 4G network over the next three years.
 
The operator last week secured the required 2,600-MHz spectrum – along with seven other players - in an allocation by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
 
In a press statement, Maxis CEO Sandip Das said the imminent launch will be the culmination of years of preparation.
 
“We have been trialing 4G LTE for two years and conducting extensive LTE interworking tests in a live network environment using commercial devices,” he said.
 
Maxis in July signed a deal with  Redtone International to share LTE infrastructure and spectrum.
 
At the time, the operators revealed plans to commence LTE services early next year, starting in the Klang Valley.
 
Maxis already had a RAN sharing deal in place with U Mobile prior to reaching its agreement with Redtone. U-Mobile and Redtone both also secured 2,600-MHz spectrum during this month's allocation.
 
Sandip said the operator believes that “network sharing is key to the deployment of networks faster across the country, while optimising industry investments and avoiding duplication.” He said the  companies between them have “a strong suite of LTE spectrum.”

 

Dylan Bushell-Embling
Watch the best moments from the 5th Annual Telecom Asia Readers' Choice Awards

SignUpTAenews

Frontpage Content by Category with Image

Ten people arrested in Bangladesh for running the scheme admitted importing cheating devices from China
Telecomasia.net full website

© 2012 Questex Asia Ltd., a Questex Media Group company. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited. Please send any technical comments or questions to our webmaster.