Samsung issues recall over exploding Note7s

telecomasia.net

Samsung plans to conduct a global recall of its Galaxy Note7 following reports that the device can overheat and even explode due to a faulty battery.

The company announced it has stopped sales of the device and will voluntarily replace it for existing customers over the coming weeks.

As of September 1 there had been 35 reported cases of battery malfunctions globally, Samsung said. The company is conducting a thorough inspection with suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market.

But sales of the device have not been suspended in every marke. In a statement, 3 Hong Kong said it has learned from Samsung Hong Kong that sales of the device will not be affected by the recall, and the device launched in the market as scheduled last week.

By contrast, the Philippines' Globe will participate in the recall, and announced it will replace existing Note7 devices as soon as Samsung is able to provide replacement units, or customers can select another replacement device instead.

Bloomberg has estimated that it may cost Samsung as much as $1 billion to replace all 2.5 million Note7 phones shipped since the device's launch two weeks earlier. The company could also face reputational damage a a precarious time for smartphone vendors.

About the author

Commentary

Twitter takes on YouTube by courting video makers

Matthew Bailey/Ovum

Expands its video monetization platform to more creators with a more generous revenue share than YouTube

Matthew Bailey/Ovum

Expands its video monetization platform to more creators with a more generous revenue share than YouTube

Holly Reid/Ovum

This could severely hinder further growth in sales of 4K devices and lead to diminished consumer demand for the technology