Japan's NTT Communications won top honors in the 16th Telecom Asia Awards, taking home both the Best Asian Telecom Carrier (Best of the Best) award and Best Cloud-based Service prize. The company was nominated in four categories by the panel of 24 judges.
A total of 13 awards were presented to 12 winners at a gala dinner in Kuala Lumpur on April 18. Telstra CEO David Thodey was voted Telecom CEO of the Year for creating innovation in a large-market incumbent and for what one judge said "being the turnaround king".
South Korea's SK Telekom picked up the Best Mobile Carrier award for the second year running while Telekom Malaysia also was named Best Broadband Carrier for second time. XL Axiata claimed the Best Emerging Markets Carrier award for demonstrating sustainable business models and growth in a very competitive market.
Philippines mobile operators won the two project-based awards: Smart Communications' NOAH Mobile was recognized at the Best Community Telecom Project while Globe Telecom's My Super Plan was the Most Innovation Telecom Project.
Three new categories were added this year. Hong Kong's 3 won the Most Innovative Partnership Strategy award for its partnership with WhatsApp, CSL was recognized for having the Most Advanced Approach to CEM and Equinix was voted Best Data Center Services Provider.
BT Global Services and Pacnet also were repeat winners in the Best Managed Services Provider and Best International Wholesale Carrier categories respectfully.
Now in its 16th year, the awards are the region's longest-running and most prestigious telecom industry awards. They reward innovative and outstanding performance by Asian service providers and industry executives.
Telecom Asia Awards 2013 Winners:
- Best Asian Telecom Carrier - NTT Communications
- Telecom CEO of the Year - David Thodey, Telstra
- Best Mobile Carrier - SK Telecom
- Best Broadband Carrier - Telekom Malaysia
- Best Emerging Markets Carrier - XL Axiata
- Best Managed Services Provider - BT Global Services
- Best International Wholesale Carrier – Pacnet
- Best Data Center Services Provider - Equinix
- Best Community Telecom Project - Smart Communications' NOAH Mobile
- Most Innovative Telecom Project - Globe Telecom's My Super Plan
- Best Cloud-Based Service - NTT Communications
- Most Innovative Partnership Strategy - 3 Hong Kong and WhatsApp
- Most Advanced Approach to CEM - CSL