Derrick Lewis, a formidable American heavyweight from Texas, holds the UFC record for most knockouts in a career and is a former title challenger. Next weekend, Lewis will headline UFC Fight Night 231 in Brazil, where he will test the skills of local prospect Jailton Almeida.Bet on MMA with 1xBet
In an exclusive interview with Telecomasia.net, Lewis discusses:
- why Jon Jones is still the rightful champion after his long layoff;
- why he didn't watch the fight between Francis Ngannou and Tyson Fury;
- who is the best Russian heavyweight of all time.
"Jones has earned the right to remain champion"
- You are fighting in Brazil for the first time and you are also an underdog. Do you have anything in store to surprise Almeida and the Brazilian fans?
- Of course I will have some surprises, but I can't tell you about them, otherwise it won't be a surprise. It will be something they've never seen before.
- How will you celebrate the victory? Are you going to take off your shorts again?
- I don't know, I never plan these things in advance. You have to get there first and get in the right mood and of course you have to win first and then we'll see.
- You hold the record for most knockouts in a UFC career with 14. Do you want to reach 20?
- It doesn't matter. Of course it would be great to get to 20, but I don't think about that. That's never been my goal. I've never thought about getting the most knockouts in UFC history.
- How do you feel about the UFC's decision to let Jon Jones keep the championship belt while other champions Jiri Prochazka and Jamahal Hill relinquished the title after suffering injuries that require a long recovery?
- I think it's fair because Jon has proven one last time that he deserves to be champion. I think they'll give the interim title to the other guys. I think Jones still deserves the belt. He had the longest streak of title defenses in the history of the light heavyweight division. So I think they did the right thing.Bet on MMA with 1xBet
"The best Russian heavyweight is the guy from the movie Rocky"
- What do you expect from the interim title fight between Sergei Pavlovich and Tom Aspinall?
- I don't really care. I'm not going to watch the fight and I don't care who wins.
- Did you watch the fight between Francis Ngannou and Tyson Fury? What do you think about the judges decision, did Francis really get robbed?
- (laughs) I didn't see the fight, I'm sorry. I had a Halloween party at the time.
- Who do you think is the best Russian heavyweight ever?
- (laughs) I think the guy who was in the movie Rocky (meaning Ivan Drago, Dolph Lundgren's character - Telecomasia.net). He's definitely the best.
- When your career in the UFC is over, are you ready to continue it in Russian promotions if they offer you enough money?
- I don't think I'll ever go to Russia. Even if they give me $10 million, I don't think I'll go there.Bet on MMA with 1xBet The Lightweight King and Dominant UFC Champion Who Replaced Khabib: Islam Makhachev's Biography PFL Will Purchase Bellator: the Fighters Confirm the Deal and Discuss the League's Last Tournament "Punchers Become Wrestlers In A Fight With Me". Shara Bullet's Interview Before UFC Debut