(Gulf News via NewsEdge) Thuraya Satellite Telecommunications Co. has signed a deal with the International Telecommunications Union to supply satellite phones when major disasters strike around the world.
Thuraya will provide the handheld satellite terminals along with solar chargers, and the ITU will pay for airtime at discounted rates offered by Thuraya, and cover the transportation costs of telecom equipment to and from disaster-hit areas.
ITU will also provide its expertise in technical and operational training for government officials involved in rescue missions.
While the initial quantity of satellite phones has been finalized, handsets will be supplied based on need.
Â© 2006 Al Nisr Publishing LLC
Â© 2006 Dialog, a Thomson business. All rights reserved
- ZTE and Sany deepen 5G cooperation to promote the digital transformation of intelligent manufacturing
- ZTE and China Mobile launch a marine broadband satellite solution creating a new era of marine communication
- ZTE common core enables intelligent and simple 5G construction
- ZTE & China Mobile's joint-effort in realizing industry's 1st typical-service-based NB-IoT massive-capacity evaluation with NMVP
- Huawei introduces autonomous driving core network