Apple told Google that it had rejected its voice calling app in a phone call to a senior executive on July 7, according to Google.
In a letter to the FCC, now posted in full on the regulator’s website, Google said that it has submitted the Google Voice app for approval on June 2.
Phil Schiller, Apple’s head of worldwide marketing, had told Google senior vice president for engineering and research, Alan Eustace, in a phone call on July 7 that the app had been rejected because it duplicated the “core dialer functionality of the iPhone.”
Without elaborating, Google said discussions between the two companies on the topic had continued until July 28.
In its original public version of the letter to the FCC, Google had excised details of its dealings with Apple.
On April 10 Schiller told Eustace Apple had rejected Latitude, Goggle’s mapping application, because it might replace Apple’s preloaded app and “create user confusion” by offering features not available on the existing app.
The FCC is probing Apple’s refusal to carry the Google apps in the App Store, which accounts for three-quarters of all mobile downloads. Apple denies it rejected the applications, and says they are still being considered.