Myanmar's fourth operator completes first call

telecomasia.net

Myanmar's fourth and newest mobile operator MyTel has completed its first ceremonial call after securing approvals last month.

The call was completed in Nay Pyi Taw during a ceremony attended by officials and diplomats from Myanmar and Vietnam, state-owned publication the Global New Light of Myanmar reported on Monday.

MyTel, the brand name of Telecom International Myanmar Company, has meanwhile announced on its website that it is working to launch across every corner of Myanmar soon.

MyTel is the joint venture formed between Vietnamese state-owned operator Viettel – which owns a 49% stake in the company – and a consortium of 11 local ICT companies that collectively hold the remaining 51%. The venture was established to secure Myanmar's fourth telecoms license

The operator has reportedly previously indicated plans to cover 90% of the population with 4G-only services during 1H18, with a total investment of around $1.5 billion.

MyTel will be launching into an increasingly saturated market – Myanmar's three established operators MPT, Oooredoo Myanmar and Telenor Myanmar this week jointly announced that they have collectively exceeded 50 million subscribers in a market with an estimated population of 53.6 million.

About the author

Commentary

5G and data center-friendly network architectures

Matt Walker / MTN Consulting

Webscale and transmission network operators' interests are aligning as the 5G era dawns

Matt Walker / MTN Consulting

Webscale and transmission network operators' interests are aligning as the 5G era dawns

Rémy Pascal / Analysys Mason

The launch of 5G by South Korean operators serves as a first benchmark for other operators around the world