Now Huawei enters app store market

Caroline Gabriel/Rethink Wireless
13 Oct 2010
00:00
The app store game is becoming a chaotic one, especially on the Android front, where the openness of the platform means that apps purchasing routes are getting as fragmented as the OS itself.
Various carriers, such as Vodafone, Verizon and China Mobile, have their own Android or multi-OS stores, and Amazon is expected to launch one soon. Now Huawei has its own Android shopfront, and another player with formidable retail presence and expertise - the Best Buy electronics chain – is said to be mulling its own entry into the market.
Huawei has opened what it calls the Digital Shopping Mall, a cross-platform store boasting 80,000 mobile applications alongside music, videos and ebooks, for Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian.
Like vendor initiatives from Alcatel-Lucent and Qualcomm, this is not a retail activity but a hosted white label offering for carriers and other brands, to speed their own time to market. Huawei, like Amazon, particularly emphasizes the social networking aspects of its store, which allow users to share and recommend content.
Operators can customize and brand the experience and support carrier billing or credit card payments. Developers and content publishers get the standard 70% revenue cut while the carriers get the remaining 30% and pay a fee to Huawei.
No operators are announced yet but the service will tap into multiscreen trends, and be accessible from phones, tablets, PCs and TVs.

Pages

Comments
No Comments Yet! Be the first to share what you think!
This website uses cookies
This provides customers with a personalized experience and increases the efficiency of visiting the site, allowing us to provide the most efficient service. By using the website and accepting the terms of the policy, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with the terms of this policy.