Arena: Madison Square Garden
Home Floor: New York Knicks
NBA betting is a grueling affair, a made basket, a missed free-throw, all can add up to make or break a bet. Just yesterday, two of my suggested tips fell short by a point and this has been the case for around 25% of my suggestions. And I am sure this is the case for many of us who are engaged with this world of odds that is constantly challenged and mocked. In another tricky betting scenario, the Houston Rockets host New York Knicks in a cross-conference battle. The Rockets have nine wins and 19 losses while the Knicks have 12 wins and 16 losses. Despite the Knicks having a better record, Houston has been a better team lately, winning seven of its last ten games while New York has lost eight out of its last ten games. For a discussion on “Total”, go through the “Expert Betting Tips” and for a quick look, go to “Notes”.Get Your Sign-Up Bonus!
Offensive comparisons: Knicks have no momentum on the offensive end and they have scored 96 or less in their last three games. New York has struggled on the offensive end for most parts of the season. On the other hand, the Rockets have scored 114 or more a bunch of times this month but that is with Wood and Gordon being healthy for the most part, in their absence, the team scored just 89 points. On average, Houston has been a better offensive and way more efficient than New York. Knicks have had plenty of nights where they have shot less than 40 percent from the floor. Knicks guards have especially struggled and there are times when the team just hoists shots without scoring much.
Defensive comparisons: Both teams have been up-and-down in terms of defense. The Rockets have allowed 114 or more a ton of times this season while Knicks have allowed the similar range of points but can showcase more discipline than Rockets at times. For Knicks, the trouble has been that they go so cold from the field that their defensive discipline also takes a hit. If Rockets fix their defense further then they will have better control at the outcome of the games.
Match-ups: Christian Wood-Julius Randle battle up-front can be the highlight here assuming Wood and Randle play, you never know in this pandemic scenario! If Eric Gordon is good to go then he and Garrison Matthews will match up against Burks and Rose where the Rockets duo can seize a slight advantage considering how Burks is struggling. In terms of bench, the Rockets have been more productive with Kenyon Martin Jr., Alperen Sengun, and Josh Christoopher, meanwhile, Knicks need more out of Mitchell Robinson and Immanuel Quickley playing with a depleted roster. Evan Fournier for the Knicks also has been highly inconsistent.
Here are some quick-hitter related to the game.
- Knicks have scored 96, 97, 87, 102, 121 in the last five games;
- Knicks have allowed 105, 112, 90, 122, 109 in the last five games;
- Rockets have scored 89, 132, 106, 114, 114 in the last five games;
- Rockets have allowed 124, 126, 113, 114, 104 in the last five games;
- Rockets have won seven and lost six games at home;
- Knicks have won seven games and six games away from home;
- Eric Gordon and Christian Wood missed the last game. They are the two leading scorers for the team;
- Derrick Rose has dished six or more assists in the last two games;
- Christian Wood has scored in the 17-24 points range and grabs 10-15 rebounds a game regularly;
- Quinten Grimes, RJ Barrett, and Obi Toppin are in COVID-19 protocols, the latter of the two are regular rotation players for New York;
- Kevin Porter Jr. has missed a week or so for Rockets and his status for the game is still unclear;
- Do check the injury list before placing your bets.
Expert Betting tips
Points Range: The Points Range will depend a lot upon if Wood and Gordon play for the Rockets. Houston can put up 105 or more when these two players play on a regular basis. For the Knicks, generating offense has been troublesome and to be honest, here, Evan Fournier is due a game after being off for a few games. The Knicks team will get its opportunity against the Rockets defense but to be honest, they have not been dependable enough this season. The Points Range here can be 210-225 if Wood and Gordon play and if they don’t then 205-220.
Prediction: It is tough to say who is the favourite here. Rockets have played a better brand of basketball this month but it isn’t like that they have a whole lot of edge over many teams. Knicks have been poor this month and need to fix a lot of ends to produce something of quality, the team is really out-of-sorts right now. I opt for the Knicks to break their losing streak away from home and beat the Rockets 112:101.
- Alternate Point Spread: NY Knicks -5.5 for 1.83;
- Team Totals: NY Knicks Over 110.5 for 1.86;
- Total Under 215.5 for 1.97.